Monday, October 15, 2012

48 minutes of pleasure

I was infatuated with what I heard, and I can't stop listening.When you find something you really enjoy listening to, it's pretty much on repeat. I get pretty obsessed with music, so when Grizzly Bear released their fourth studio album Shields, I was curious how it would compare to the others.

The American Indie rock band from Brooklyn, New York known as Grizzly Bear, consist of four members including songwriter/vocalist Ed Droste, who composed the first album in his apartment as a solo home project.The additional contributors of this modest home project later formed as the band Grizzly Bear, and released the developed project in 2004, Horn of Plenty. I really like "Alligator" and "This Song" from Horn Of Plenty. The sound of this band is suttle and sweet. The simple harmony of these guys will send you into a dreamy sweep, emphasizing on their haunting voices.

The following two albums Yellow House (2006) and Veckatimest (2009) proved to their audience that they can be diverse and inspiring with their folk-indie sounds complimenting the experimental ingenuity between "Easier" and "Two Weeks" to keep us interested in the whole album. These tracks offer a bevy of instrumental influence thanks to multi-instrumentalist Chris Taylor, while the band expels sounds of Baroque pop and psychedelic mood swings that allows the tuned ear to grasp the potential influences for Grizzly Bear, such as The Beach Boys, The Smiths, and Radiohead.

"The sky keeps staring at me..."  are the lyrics from "Gun-Shy" that prompted me to quickly purchase the entire 48 minutes of the Shields album. When I listened to this song for hundredth time, I drew influences from  Sultans of Swing (this song is pretty sweet) by the Dire Straits. Most of the time, you can hear dominant influences within a certain bands albums/songs. I think its fun to pick them out, and to get other peoples opinion, because everyone is going to hear a song differently.

I have literally been listening to this album the past three days since I got it, and I haven't bought a whole album ( besides my precious vinyls) since Radiohead came out with King Of Limbs (along with many other of their albums I've collected).

**Grizzly Bear has some unique music videos like this one for Ready, Able off of Veckatimest.


Unfortunately, this is one band I have yet to have the opportunity to see live. Keep your fingers crossed for a Florida date!

No comments:

Post a Comment